Howdy folks. Welcome to the latest edition of Drifter Life Dispatch. I hope you find value in this new-ish format. I will be sharing more frequent updates about my travels, learnings, and findings around the world and as I embark upon the next chapter of my life. With that, here are a few updates for you, followed by a few recommendations.
A Few Big Items
- I'm scheduled to pick up my Rivian R1T electric truck today. This has been a long time coming. I pre-ordered this truck back in the fall of 2019! I'm excited to take delivery and see what a few weeks with this thing will be like, but ultimately I have decided to sell it to help pay for my education (see below). If you or anyone you know is interested, please contact me ASAP. I'd prefer to sell it direct, but will put it up on an auction site if I don't have a buyer by July 8th. I'll have more to share about this entire experience in the coming months. While Rivian has struggled to produce and grow since they went public, they have undeniably created something remarkable.
- I was honored to referee two big events in Austin in June. I refereed the MLR High School Academy tournament in Austin, Texas, along with Ross Davies and Juan Pablo Parra (an outstanding Columbian referee who just moved to the Houston Area). It was a great experience, building on my journey as an Assistant Referee (AR) for this most recent MLR season. The next weekend I was also fortunate to referee the Bloodfest 7s Tournament, and was selected for the Men's Open division final, which was quite an honor. I enjoyed both of these weekends and continuing my development as a referee.
Some Personal Updates
May was an exciting month around here, personally. First, my daughter, Megan, graduated high school, with both her Patient Care Technician (PCT) and OSHA certifications. She is currently looking for child care and medical field jobs while she continues to research colleges.
Second, I was accepted into the University of Houston's Graduate School of Social Work (GCSW) to pursue my Masters in Social Work. You'll see more about this in the future. I am giddy with anticipation, and have never been more ready to learn! I will be a full-time student starting in August.
With this new educational opportunity, I also resigned from 10up, where I had been working since September 2021 as a Senior Account Strategist. While I will be focusing on my education this fall, I am open to taking on a few consulting and website support projects through Duce Enterprises. Please reply to this email or contact me if you'd like to talk about your project or website.
I'm excited to return to my generalist ways, mixing and matching work, life, play, music, learning, research, and travel into a giant smorgasbord of experiences. I will be taking a short reading, writing, and thinking trip (also escaping this ridiculous Texas heat) to the mountains of Arkansas next week. Coming out of that, you can look for some new writing and options to customize your subscription to this publication.
Worth Your Time
- 🍿 The Tender Bar (Amazon Prime)
A simple and lovely film that might make you cry. I came across it randomly, saw it was directed by George Clooney, and Sarah and I watched it and loved it.
- 💿 Hoy Como Ayer by Hermanos Gutiérrez
Beautiful guitar instrumental music. Works for road trips, work background music, lounging by the pool, or as dinner music. In other words, go listen!
- 📖 Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson
One of the best-written books I've read in a while. An often heavy read for it's content and realities, but one that is absolutely worth your time.
New and Interesting
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai Plants 50,000th Legacy Tree
- Creative Quests by Channel Twelve
I attended two sessions with Sam (one through Creative Mornings, which you should absolutely sign up for) and am very intrigued by these quests. I'm not sure if I'll do one this summer or next, but I'm definitely interested.
- Dog-friendly mini-hotel in Scotland where every room has a beer fridge in the shower
Now there's a headline! Sign me up!
- Music League
If you haven't done this yet, and want to, let me know. I'll likely do a summer one starting in July. It's a great way to find new music and create some fun themes, and learn about your fellow participants.
Be well, stay human, and spread kindness.